Monday, August 28, 2023

Case File No.14: Will McDonald IV

 

Will McDonald IV (99). Photo Credit: Erik Verduzco/Associated Press.


Today, I'll open the case file of Will McDonald IV, who despite his lack of size for his position, was dominant in college, and has looked good so far in the NFL. Before I continue, visit rdxsports.com and become a part of Team RDX. Get the latest on martial arts and fitness gear at a 10% discount.

Team: New York Jets

Position: Defensive End

HT: 6-3 WT: 241


Credentials:

Big 12 Co-Defensive lineman of the Year (2021)

3x First-team All-Big 12 (2020-2022)


Strengths:

-Athletic, explosive pass rusher

-Incredible spin moves

-Has a nice array of pass rush moves

-Good hand usage


Weaknesses:

-Undersized for the position

-Can get engulfed in the run game due to his lack of size


Final Analysis:

Will reminds me a lot of Robert Mathis, who was also an undersized defensive end that terrorized quarterbacks, with Dwight Freeney's spin move.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I had my questions about the Jets drafting McDonald, seeing that they're loaded with pass rushers. Although I think you can never have enough pass rushers, I thought they could've went somewhere else with that pick, seeing that they had other needs.

However, he fits right in with their myriad of pass rushers, and his playing style is perfect for the Wide-Nine alignment that (Jets head coach) Robert Saleh likes to use.

He's undersized for the position, which can make him susceptible to being engulfed in the run game, and needs to bulk up, but without compromising his speed and athletic ability.

Although he's in a crowded defensive line room, from what I've heard about him in training camp, and from what I've seen in the preseason, he has impressed. I don't see him starting right off the bat, but I think his skill set, plus the way Saleh rotates his defensive lineman, he will get snaps, and I think he will be an eventual starter.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Case File No. 37: Cooper Flagg

  Cooper Flagg. Photo Credit: Gregory Payan/AP. Today, I open the case file of Cooper Flagg, a five-star recruit who has committed to Duke. ...