Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Case File No. 7: Aday Marra

 

Aday Marra (15). Photo Credit: 20minutos.es.

Today, we look into the file of Aday Marra, who recently committed to UCLA, but is already being projected by some as a lottery pick in next year's NBA draft. Before I continue, visit rdxsports.com and become a part of Team RDX. Get the latest on martial arts and fitness gear at a 10% discount.

Position: Center

HT: 7-3  WT: 245

College: UCLA

Class: Freshman

Nationality: Spanish


Credentials:

ACB All-Young Team

:Strengths:

-Strong low post game

-Has a variety of low post games

-Excellent passer; good timing and court vision

-Stronger than he looks

-Can make mid-range shots when spotting up

-Rim protector, will rotate to block or disrupt shots

Weaknesses:

-Lacks consistency with hustle and looks sluggish at times

-A raw talent who needs more seasoning

Final Analysis:

Aday fits the mold of today's big man as a passer, with the post moves of an old school big man. He has an arsenal of moves in the low post, which makes him hard to defend in or near the paint. He's listed at 245, but he looks smaller. Despite his frail appearance, he usually overpowers players in the post. I didn't see too many jump shots from him, but he has shown to be good from mid-range when spotting up. A pretty good free-throw shooter for a big man--shot around 76% in the FIBA tournament--with good form on his mechanics.

I saw a lack of consistency as far as hustle; there were times where I didn't see him move with up and down the floor with a sense of urgency. A good rim protector who knows how to use his length. I saw plays where he blocked shots without jumping. I'm not sure if it will always be that easy at the next level where there's an abundance of athletic players.

I saw a thumbnail for a video that compared Aday to Nikola Jokic and Pau Gasol, but I'm thinking shades of Pau and Marc Gasol. I can see Jokic as far as court vision and passing ability, but Pau and Marc were good passers as well.

I think Mara has a really high ceiling, but he's a work in progress. I think at least a year of college will do him some good as far as development. If he can put everything together at UCLA sooner than later, I can definitely see him as a lottery pick in next year's NBA draft.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Case File No. 37: Cooper Flagg

  Cooper Flagg. Photo Credit: Gregory Payan/AP. Today, I open the case file of Cooper Flagg, a five-star recruit who has committed to Duke. ...