Thursday, June 6, 2024

Case File No. 31: Hannah Hidalgo


Hannah Hidalgo. Photo Credit: Andy Lyons/Getty Images.


Before I begin, I've decided to change the name of the blog from the S-Files to Eye for Talent. Along with the name change, I intend to recreate the background of the page in the future as well. I'll still view my reports as case files, but the blog page will be under a new name moving forward.

Today, I'll dive into the case file of Notre Dame's Hannah Hidalgo, who had a phenomenal Freshman season, to say the least, winning ACC Defensive Player of the Year, and helping guide her team to a Sweet 16 appearance.


Position: Point Guard

HT: 5-6

College: Notre Dame

Class: Freshman 


Credentials:

First-team All-ACC

ACC Defensive Player of the Year

ACC All-Defensive Team

ACC Rookie of the Year

ACC All-Freshman Team

Strengths:

-Lightning quick

-Excellent ball handler 

-Can make shots on all levels 

-Doesn't waste time or motion with her dribble

-Good court vision and timing on her passes

-Shadows players defensively 

-Very good at locating the ball

Weaknesses:

-Demure size can lead to being overwhelmed by bigger players 

-Her aggression can be used against her

Final Analysis:

As I mentioned in my Freshman Fe-nom post, I was impressed with what I saw. She’s lighting quick; can make shots on all levels: off the dribble, attacking the basket, using screens, and spotting up. She doesn’t waste a lot of time or motion, whether it’s getting the offense set up or getting her own shot, making her almost impossible to stop. 

Some compared her to Chris Paul, but (offensively) she reminds me of Tim Hardaway Sr. with the quickness and effortless way she moves handling the ball and getting into her shot.

She practically shadows players on defense and is attentive to where the ball is going, which enables her to get a jump on the ball in passing lanes.

Although she’s a feisty defender, at 5–6, she could get overwhelmed by players or they could simply shoot over the top of her. Her aggression on defense could also be used against her, which could lead to her getting into foul trouble or overplaying a passing lane.

I think Hannah is WNBA-ready, the only thing stopping her is the league’s age limit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Case File No. 37: Cooper Flagg

  Cooper Flagg. Photo Credit: Gregory Payan/AP. Today, I open the case file of Cooper Flagg, a five-star recruit who has committed to Duke. ...